About Us

The McGregor Mirror was founded in 1892, but it descended from several older newspapers that date back to 1883, the year after the city lots were sold. The first newspaper was the Plaindealer followed by the McGregor Observer in 1890, the McGregor Herald in 1897, and the Herald-Observer, which T. E. Streight bought and closed upon founding The Mirror in 1904.

Charles and Lillie Hall

Charles B. Hall owned the Mirror from 1917 to 1960 and started three generations of family ownership. The husband and wife team, Charles and Lillie Hall, ran The Mirror until she died in 1955. Hall continued to publish the newspaper until 1960 when he received Texas Press Associationís 50 Year Award. Hallís daughter, Bonnie, married Thomas Mooney in 1944, and he became publisher in 1960.

Thomas and Bonnie Mooney

Today, The Mirror is in its third generation of the Hall-Mooney family, with Charles Mooney, Bonnie Mooney Mullens, and Mynette Mooney Taylor as co-publishers.



Current owners Charles, Bonnie and Mynette in an early day picture taken with their grandmother Lillie Hall.

© 2006 The McGregor Mirror & Crawford Sun. All rights reserved.